Chinese factory shuts down after worker dies of exposure to fumes

Posted March 15, 2020 14:20:30The Chinese factory where two workers died in a fire last month was shut down after the state’s toxic watchdog ruled the fire was caused by the chemical resin used in the manufacturing process.

The blaze at the factory, which also involved a chemical plant in Sichuan province, occurred on March 3, after workers were exposed to fumes from a furnace at a factory near the city of Wuhan.

It is not known if the fumes caused the deaths of the two workers.

China’s National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) said the blaze, which was started after the factory was re-opened on April 3, was a result of the chemical used in production.

“The fire started after a fire at the manufacturing plant, and resulted in the death of a worker, and also resulted in injuries of others,” the agency said in a statement.

The fire spread quickly and caused a total of 1,000 cubic metres of fumes to enter the building, the agency added.

The NEPA said it would investigate the cause of the fire.

“In this case, the fire began after workers began working at the site and it was subsequently discovered that the furnace had ignited and consumed the resin,” it said.

“As a result, the building started to collapse due to the high temperature and extreme pressure.”

The plant has since reopened.ABC/wiresTopics:business-economics-and-finance,government-and.government-of-national-security,health,hong-kong,china,hondurasFirst posted March 14, 2020 19:49:40